- Friday July 22nd was Officer Parks last day as our community officer here in the South Region, we thank her so much for serving her community and wish her all the best as she moves to the North Region!
- We welcomed Officer Justin Boyd as our new Community Officer, who has been with CPD for 7 years, his whole career has been in the South Region.
- Crime is down overall in the city, especially auto thefts! South Region is down 24% overall. There were 7 property crimes in Rosewood out of the 100 or so property crimes in the South Region.
- there is an ongoing investigation for the shooting that occurred in Rosewood:
- empty shell casings were found, however no one was hit
- as always, if you have any information pertaining to this investigation, please let CPD know.
- If you own or know someone that owns a Kia or Hyundai please be aware these are the latest reported auto break in make of car.
- they are forcing entry and removing the steering column in order to bypass the ignition and start the car.
- please keep valuables out of sight, doors locked and make sure you have a copy of your registration/VIN information as well as your license plate in a safe place in case of theft.
- Discussed the latest about the Vivint security salesmen plaguing our neighborhoods:
- they are valid salespeople, and their license has been verified. the badge they wear should have their information on it and when asked to see it they should provide it to you.
- if they come to your door and you’re not interested tell them so, ask them to leave and shut the door.
- as far as time is concerned, the ordinance doesn’t make a reference to any certain time period that they can and cannot solicit business during, but they have been told by CPD at least once to stop knocking on doors late at night.
- if you feel threatened or they will not leave your property after being asked to do so, call 911 and shut the door to them and stay inside. the non-emergency number works as well (252-911).
- spoke on code enforcement in the area. there is a code enforcement officer shortage, as well as a shortage for a lot of the city departments.
- if you’ve got a specific or urgent need, please email the ombudsman’s and CC Alison on the email.
- some contact info can be found here.
- our officer is Ronnie Hingleton.
- a new firework ordinance is in the works, but has yet to be approved.
- they will publicize a LOT before strictly enforcing. for example they will utilize social media, billboards, and signs at businesses.
- this ordinance will take into consideration those with PTSD, our veterans, and animals especially.
- they are looking at increased fines for repeat offenders, which are currently around $50.
- they will also discuss limiting the timeframe as in both the days surrounding specific holidays as well as the hours for the ordinance.
- Will brought up the City of Columbia Water Meeting happening August 18th at the Boys and Girls Club on South Holly.
- Meeting will run from 6pm-7:30pm, Thursday the 18th.
- a Facebook event will be created and shared to both neighborhood groups, please plan on attending!
- there are 3 areas that have been deemed emergency water repairs that will be fixed before working on any other of the 3 phase water repair plan.
- Wando St
- 3 blocks of S. Walker
- Shamrock Ct
- as far as the 3 phase plan- all of the designs have been completed, the plans were pushed back because of Covid, then again with budgeting.
- spoke about traffic calming plans
- we are still collecting spots all over the neighborhood. if you have a spot, please email the council or send us a Facebook message.
- phase 1 saw 23 out of the 42 requests installed. this included speedhumps, four way stops, etc.
- we have 3 major connectors that need to be reclassified as minor:
- south kilbourne, south ott, and superior
- reminded everyone to check out the rosewood orchard and nature trail
- all the rain has made some beautiful flowers happy. it has overall been a great season for the orchard
- plans to install a handicap accessible crosswalk coming
Important upcoming dates
- August 11 2022 – South Kilbourne Neighborhood Association will host a Front Porch Roll Call at Suber Marshall Church
- August 13 2022 – Sports-A-Rama at Memorial Stadium
- August 18 2022 – Columbia Water Meeting at Boys and Girls Club